ATX Community

8582 Passive Activities Losses

Terry D EA

Is there any other way to utilize the loss from form 8582 that is disallowed in the current year due to the income limitations that is legitimate. I have read some suggestions there may be some other way other than using the real estate professional loop hole which my client does not meet the criteria. Just wondering.

gotta love the 8582.  2 years from now you'll have this nice extra loss offset that you forgot about....because they had passive income again.

I had a doctor play that game for a long time with a partnership he was involved in.  Then a few years later he started renting his old house and moved to the country.  And wha-la - we finally got our passive losses coming back.  It actually turned out well for him.  He was planning ahead.

Ask the client what they want to do. Because except for IRA deductions there ain't much you can do to reduce their income. And no, passive losses c/f until passive income. They'll like it when they sell the property. Or tell them to just stop making so much money.