ATX Community

Don't pay for more licenses than you need

Abby Normal

Hmmm, Jack from Ohio, I don't understand how you could quote me on something I didn't write.  The first sentence above isn't from me although the second one is.  I even looked back to the original just above. 

Eric, how can someone quote something that wasn't originally stated? 

Margaret, I believe that Jack's own words were included in the quote box.  The same thing happened last night when someone quoted me.  I've edited Jack's post so that only your words are inside the quote box.

Apparently a new "feature" is that the cursor remains inside the box when we use the quote function.  

Hmmm, Jack from Ohio, I don't understand how you could quote me on something I didn't write.  The first sentence above isn't from me although the second one is.  I even looked back to the original just above. 

Margaret, once you 'pull' a quote, you can 'edit' it by typing inside the quote box, so occasionally someone accidentally includes their comment inside the box.  Mostly, we use that ability to trim a quote to just the portion we are commenting on.  If the original post  has 25 lines, but I want to respond to only one line, it's much clearer, and neater, to delete all but that line from the quote box, as I just did on yours.   Don't think Jack [or anyone] was trying to put words into your mouth.  

• Like 1

KC is correct about having the ability to edit the quote. Eric has made a little tweak so that when quoting someone, the cursor is now automatically positioned below and outside of the quote box so that this won't happen in the future.