ATX Community

3rd party auth marked in software not rec'd be state

Marie

Had to check a couple of MO returns, finding out that the third party box that is auto marked when federal is, was not transmitted to MO.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Going to be a real pain - i checked three with MO, and none were marked.  i was listed as preparer, but not authorized. 

Yes I did customize my states so when I marked the Federal Box it would mark the state, also.  but Mo is saying none of the Mo boxes were marked.  when I called in to ATX, we checked the customization and a few other things.  If it was marked, how could MO not receive it?

Yes I did customize my states so when I marked the Federal Box it would mark the state, also.  but Mo is saying none of the Mo boxes were marked.  when I called in to ATX, we checked the customization and a few other things.  If it was marked, how could MO not receive it?

Two reasons come to mind.

Apathy and incompetence.  We see so much of those things when dealing with State tax departments.

they are supposed to be looking into the problem.  said 48 hours (on Monday) and I should get a response, but because of the holiday weekend, it might take longer.  48 hours would be Wed, Thurs at the latest and I didn't think the 4th was until Sat???  48 hours ain't what it used to be

But....was wondering if anyone had this happen to them with their state returns?

I'm not sure that this is a software problem...more like a state issue.

I use TaxAct...and for most states the authorization carries over from the Federal.  But there is at least one state (I don't remember which one) where it didn't carry over....and luckily I picked up on it when I eyeballed the return before e-filing.  This happened a few times...so it was either with a few states..or a state where I did multiple returns.

I got in the habit to make sure it's marked......

Sorry, I can't help or answer further.  The states I generally work with don't even have that third party authorization box.  DE would accept the Fed box, and pretty sure PA would want a POA.  DE doesn't even have it's own POA form.  DE piggybacks the Fed laws and forms on just about everything, and for a POA specific for a DE-only issue, we file a Fed 2848 with the state with the specific DE forms and years indicated in the appropriate box.

rec'd correspondence from ATX, software issue, not my fault, but supposedly they have contacted MO, told them of the problem, and I will have to send a copy of the marked box for anyone I need to check on.  I can't believe that the rep I talk to (different one many times) will believe me or be able to receive a fax from while on the phone.  Guess I will have to try.

• Like 1