ATX Community

Home Office Carryover

BulldogTom

Taxpayer has an office in his home.  Moved at the end of last year (Dec 2014).  Moved the office into the new home but had very little home office expense in the new home.  I put in (2) form 8829's last year.  The old home office that is no longer occupied had a carryover of unallowed expenses due to the income limitation.  Can those unallowed expenses be carried forward to the new home office this year?

Old home office was in home he rented, so none of it was depreciation or other Sch. A type deductions.  The new home office is in a home he bought, but last year had not made any mortgage payments yet.

The taxpayer has a growing business and even though the carryover will probably not help him this year, it looks like next year it will so I am trying to preserve the deduction if I can.

Thanks in advance

Tom
Newark, CA

• 9 months later...

I have a client who is winding down her Sch C business and has a home office deduction carryover.  She had a little income of $8k.  She says she really didn't use her home office in 2015.  I want to simply apply the 8829 carryover as her home office deduction to that income without incurring any more home office deductions.

Can I stop the depreciation as of 01/01/15, and use form 8829 for the carryover only?  It would be just about used up if so.

And can I enter the 2015 mortgage interest and property taxes only on Sch A?