ATX Community

Can I assist customers in filing their own returns?

trooper

So, I somehow created a duplicate application in September 2015 when I applied for my EFIN which caused me to have to delete both and start from scratch in November. I overnighted my fingerprint cards on Dec 17, 2015. As of last week, I saw that my EFIN status was valid/active so I submitted my first efile return. The next morning I discovered the return was rejected due to an invalid EFIN. I contacted the e-help line and was told that even though the status showed active, my application was still pending and "sitting on someone's desk". 

At this point, I have no way to eFile client returns, but a stack of returns which were already prepared. Is it legal for me to walk my clients through an online tax software and have them submit the returns themselves?

In addition to this, my bank product relationships were already established and approved. Is it possible to still request bank products (ie, allowing them to pay with their refund through a refund transfer) if they e-file their own returns A.) through the bank product provider or B.) by doing a refund transfer directly to my practice?

I don't know about all the other work-arounds you suggested, but you can always paper file.  Just attach the explanation staement to the return.  If the client uses direct deposit, the difference in time for them to receive their refund will only be a couple of weeks at most.  If they owe, who cares if the return is paper filed?

Maybe you would give them a small discount on the fee to show your appreciation for their business while you wait wait for IRS to sort this out.  Consider the discount an investment in client relations that will pay off in the future.  You might even find necessarily to have them actually write you a check (what a burden!), but at least you keep everything clean and simple in this transition period. 

• Like 3