ATX Community

FYI: IP PIN no guarantee

GraceNY

Last year, both taxpayer and spouse experienced identity theft.  This year both were issued IP PINs and in spite of filing as soon as possible, it happened again!

I see the IRS had another cyber security incident they reported yesterday.  This one was an attack on their Electronic Filing PIN application.  If thief had the taxpayer's SSN they went into the IRS PIN application and garnered a new PIN.  Now one would think that if a PIN was already issued, they wouldn't be able to get a new one?    Unless, of course, you could request a new one if you "lost your IRS letter that provided the PIN?"    IRS has some serious issues with all this identity theft and some of it is entirely their fault.  They need to hire some competent IT's and upgrade their computer systems!  And, if money for their budget is needed, send them some that is dedicated solely for this and have some accountability!

Therefore, if any of you have taxpayer's that were given IP PINs, you might want to file them as soon as possible.

13 minutes ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

I received a rejection last night for a client I've done for years.  It said she needed to enter her IRS pin number.  She didn't receive one.  We can't even get thru to request one.  I'm at a loss as to what to do here!

If she didn't have an IRS identity theft issue last year, she wouldn't get a PIN.  If she didn't apply for one on her own,  could be that someone got her SSN and applied for one online?  According to IRS website, "taxpayer's who were impacted by this will be notified by mail."

1 hour ago, GraceNY said:

If she didn't have an IRS identity theft issue last year, she wouldn't get a PIN.  If she didn't apply for one on her own,  could be that someone got her SSN and applied for one online?  According to IRS website, "taxpayer's who were impacted by this will be notified by mail."

That's what we are afraid of.  Any idea how to proceed?

Honestly, the IRS is so backwoods and idiotic they need to be shut down. I will never understand why anybody can get a refund based on absolutely nothing. They can't fix the system unless and until they have all the W2 and 1099 information in the system, filed and proven, before any tax returns are filed. Who pays on the promise that the tax return is true without any verification?

Same thing with Medicare and Medicaid fraud. Prove the expense before they pay out.

It is so discouraging. Especially to us, because we see it all.

• Like 3