ATX Community

IRS Two Steps Closer to Regulating Tax Preparers

Elrod

The IRS strategy to require independent, non-credentialed tax preparers took two steps forward in February. Both steps are designed to establish required education and licensing for the estimated 111,000 independent tax preparers in the US.

http://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/news/12172778/irs-two-steps-closer-to-regulating-tax-preparers

I agree we should be tested.

Currently, what do you need for a lemonade stand:

1. A container with something to stir
2. Sugar
3. Water
4. Glasses
5 Stand
6. Change

Currently, what do you need to prepare taxes:

1.- Computer with software
2.- Printer
3.- paper
4.- folder or envelopes
5.- Desk
6.- PTIN (I have seen many returns prepared by paid preparers without signature or ITIN).

There two differences between the two people attending: One is older and the other one is much younger. One is stressed and sometimes rude and the other is relaxed and happy with the few bucks he/she will make.

No problem with regulation --- however ----- since I am naïve ----- I would like to see CPA's and attorney's subject to the same testing, etc..      If the question is tax expertise, then EVRYONE should have that expertise ----- NOT be GIVEN a free ride because they have a better "lobby".

Just because they know law or accounting --- DOES NOT mean they know tax, etc..

Just my two cents worth.

• Like 2

I am all for the regulation and testing as well. That means for everyone and not just the signer of the tax return. Each and every HRB, JH, Liberty Tax and any other giant tax mill employee should be required to have the credentials as well and not just the office manager or signer. I too agree that CPA's and Attorney's should be regulated and tested as well. Just recently worked with a situation where an attorney was advising a client incorrectly regarding a specific situation. No one should get a free ride.

• Like 1