ATX Community

Estate Return

Patrick Michael

I do not normally prepare estate returns but am trying to help out a friend whose significant other passed suddenly in October of 2015 leaving him in a little bit of a financial mess. 

The attorney handling probate opened an estate and obtained an EIN and my friend has been named executor.  A letter from the IRS indicates that a 1041 must be filed by 04/15/16 but from what I read the first year can be any period one year or less.  So my first question, does the 1041 need to be filed by 04/15/16?

To date there has been no IRD and he does not expect any to be received.  Second question, should a zero 1041 return be filed even though the filing threshold of $600 gross income has not been met.

Lastly, the only assets in her estate is a small bank account, motor home and residence, total value about $250,000.  Does a form 706 need to be filed even though the gross estate is less than the exclusion amount?

Thanks for the help

who ever got the ein number told the irs it was a calendar year trust thus the 4/15/16 deadline.  You can elect any year end less than 1 year as you stated.  just do this on the first return you file.  Based on DOD you will probably want a 9/30/16 year end. 

In my office, its always the fiscal year returns that tend to get missed till the last minute so personally, I would do a -0- return as of 12/31/15