ATX Community

Mistake made doing MFS in Drake

TAG

We made a mistake doing a MFS return using Drake.  2 kids but one was missed-client caught it.  Really don't like the way Drake handles MFS.  I'd prefer 3 returns listed: MFJ, MFS husband, MFS wife.

How would you placate the client?  I'm going to forgive the 2015 tax pre fee and I'm thinking of giving them a free 2016 tax prep.

Terry

In Drake, you can enter a return as MFJ and label each income and expense item as Taxpayer or Spouse or Joint. You then hit the "split" icon on the top toolbar and the program will calculate the results for both methods. You can change to MFS at that point if you want to. 

• Like 2

I'd fix the return and e-file correctly; or if already e-filed, amend the return for free.

If they already paid, I'd give them a gift certificate for free prep next season.

If not paid, I'd waive this year's fee.

Thank them for doing their job to make sure everything on their returns is complete and accurate. Remind them that you do your best with their help.  There was only one perfect man, and we crucified him.  Today's a good day to think about that.

• Like 8