ATX Community

Foreign Tax High Tax Kickout

Juan Carlos

If I paid foreign taxes of $150K and got a distribution over $1M and it is passive income, sale of a home that was inherited, but reclassified as General limitation because of the high income.   When I put it in the passive income section under foreign taxes but then I have to fill out the High tax kickout do I put the same amount of the tax paid which essentially doubles the foreign tax credit.  Is that correct?

We just don't help the general public with tax questions, only other tax professionals in the business.  I was able to find your LinkedIn profile as someone who has been involved with taxes and in the State of IL.   I don't have an answer for you; maybe someone else will though.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Juan Carlos said:

I understand Judy.  It would take to much time adding client and details when I just want confirmation or correction that needs to be made.

Thank you,

Understand what you are saying, but given the complex nature of your subject, more detail is sometimes called for.  To the question, I don't think you should be doubling the credit.  Perhaps there is a box you missed checking?  Or checked and shouldn't.  With ATX, I've often found that they deal with complex issues with check boxes, and almost always, when a result does not make sense, or "feel right", I find the problem there.   Let us know, please, if you find it there.

• Like 2