ATX Community

NT - Opinion requested - Software for security

easytax

Do you have a preference for security software ?

Currently using Norton premiere 360, thinking of going to Zone Alarm Extreme Security.

Ratings, reviews seem to be almost equal (Norton a slight edge). As Zone is half yearly cost with special bringing it to 2 years for one/fourth the cost of Norton ---- I am vacillating...

Yes, I am cheap but willing to spend for "better" item.     Wondering if any use Zone Alarm or know about it either vs, Norton or not.    THANKS.

In the 11 years I have relied on Eset NOD32, absolutely NO virus or malware has infected either my Windows-based primary desktop or laptop.  One desktop in my network inhaled a rootkit Trojan, once, when an assistant downloaded it from a French site.  (At no extra cost, an Eset tech talked us through the process of extirpating the rootkit.)  That's the ONLY time any platform in my network has been infected in any way.  In the past three years nothing has infected my spouse's Apple-based platforms; she didn't use any third-party antiviral before that.

Eset offers a more wholesale Security Suite, that I simply haven't felt the need for, given my experience with NOD32.  I started using Eset because, at the time, it was the only antiviral that hadn't failed a VB100 test.  Eset has stumbled in a couple of the quarterly tests since then, I've read, but it really has kept up its perfect record for me.

• Like 2

1,  Every security software system works perfectly until it doesn't.

2. There is no system that will catch everything.

3. Using good low risk habits of computer/internet usage is your best defense.

Tech sites like PC Magazine & PC World have in depth online reviews that are regularly updated.

Read the reviews and pick your poison.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2016 at 7:05 AM, TaxCPANY said:

In the 11 years I have relied on Eset NOD32, absolutely NO virus or malware has infected either my Windows-based primary desktop or laptop.  One desktop in my network inhaled a rootkit Trojan, once, when an assistant downloaded it from a French site.  (At no extra cost, an Eset tech talked us through the process of extirpating the rootkit.)  That's the ONLY time any platform in my network has been infected in any way.  In the past three years nothing has infected my spouse's Apple-based platforms; she didn't use any third-party antiviral before that.

Eset offers a more wholesale Security Suite, that I simply haven't felt the need for, given my experience with NOD32.  I started using Eset because, at the time, it was the only antiviral that hadn't failed a VB100 test.  Eset has stumbled in a couple of the quarterly tests since then, I've read, but it really has kept up its perfect record for me.

My computer experts [aka my sons] put Eset software on mine before giving them to me.  That's a strong pro vote, IMHO. 

I've cleaned dozens family and friends' computers all running a wide array of antivirus/antimalware/security software.  I have yet to find a any security software that could protect people from downloading and installing random wallpaper applications, or weather alert applications, or free solitaire and pinball games.  Usually it's not viruses, it's just adware on top of webpage redirects and fake "you have a virus" popups compounded until the computer becomes unusable.

I guess what I'm saying is... if you just do work on your computer and you don't fart around looking for free time wasters to install, then you're doing better than about 85% of the population.

• Like 10

Eset NOD32 antivirus (only-not the security suite) and Comodo Free Firewall. Comodo does a lot more than act as a firewall. It monitors when software is trying to change anything system related or trying to connect to the internet. It gives you full control. Comodo tries to install some unwanted crapware when you install it but but just make sure you click on all the advanced or option links/buttons to stop it. If you miss one or two, just uninstall the ones that slipped thru. They're not malware, just not needed.