ATX Community

Stock Options

Lion EA

I really am getting too tired to think straight.  I thought I was pretty good at all types of stock options, but not getting the numbers I expect with this one.

W-2 box 12 V $4,018.02 that would be NQ, yes?

Grant Date 10/29/2009  Exercise Date 07/28/2015

Option Exercise Cost $6,368.88  Total Exercise Cost & Tax Liability $7,359.19

Market Value of Shares Exercised  $9,047.56

Income  $2,578.58  but how does that tie in with the $4,018.02?

A few numbers may be off, the company confirmation has really, really light print, but the numbers are close.

Help!

"I really am getting too tired to think straight"

Well I'm getting smarter after imbibing with some Southern Comfort (worked well for Janis Joplin) but ? :

• This transaction was included in the W2 (Code V)  that included Gross pay and withholding and is a NQO.
  • Was this a cashless transaction?
  • Have you been provided with all of the documentation that supports this transaction?  Probably not!
  • Get an Extension!

My dad loved Southern Comfort.  Client went online to download everything re his 2015 compensation, so I have the pages I quoted plus a lot of other details like share price, how much was withheld for taxes, etc.  It reads like a same-day cashless transaction.  With an extra $7.53 for a fractional share.  I'm used to NQO transactions having the "buy" price and code V price adding up to the sales proceeds for no gain/loss, or a tiny loss if fees were charged.  The paperwork also notes Net Shares to Deliver 29.0 and states Income $2,678.50 when I would've expected the $4,018.02 from code V to be the income upon which he paid tax.