ATX Community

Isues with amended return

Beerdeer

First, I apologize for intruding.  I know this is a professionals' forum, and I am a lay person.

I filed an amended return this year for 2013, using a Form 982 to declare an insolvency exemption for the tax on my wife's disability forgiveness of student loans, and I have been checking the IRS site religiously. Today I got the following message:

"Your amended return was received on April 12, 2016. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please call 800-829-0582, extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

Am I going to be in trouble? Are they going to deny the amended return? Is this a boilerplate thing that happens?

4 hours ago, Beerdeer said:

Is this a boilerplate thing that happens?

Amended returns regularly take four to six months before you hear back.  Your only other option is to call.  I recommend the 7AM time, because the on-hold queue gets long, fast.  If you are on hold 59 minutes, they hang up on you and you get to start over.

So here's an interesting fact:  They updated the text on the website to say "Expect 16 weeks" but the programming on the website is still set up for 12.  The notice was a catch for if the processing was taking too long.

I got Poltergeisted.  They moved the stones but not the bodies.

I appreciate your patience and will get out of your way now :D