ATX Community

SCH C LLC wants to go Sub S Tax treatment

JFH

I have a client who is a single member LLC and wants to be treated for tax purposes as a Sub S for 2008 and not as a Sch C as he is for 2007. I think all I have to do is complete a form (Form #?) and send to the IRS - is this the right time to do this for 2008 - can it be retroactive? - Like to 2007?

Thanks for all the help.

I have a client who is a single member LLC and wants to be treated for tax purposes as a Sub S for 2008 and not as a Sch C as he is for 2007. I think all I have to do is complete a form (Form #?) and send to the IRS - is this the right time to do this for 2008 - can it be retroactive? - Like to 2007?

Thanks for all the help.

Form 2553, file by March 15 for calendar year taxpayer, effective current year, not retroactive.

He's already organized under state law as an LLC, so just has to file the 2553 to make the S election. If he were not already an LLC or corporation, he would first file 8832 to incorporate and then 2553.

Thank you - and yes - he is already organized as an LLC