ATX Community

IL Registered CPA

mircpa

Hello friends

I hold IL registered CPA license. Back in May 2016 I received request from IRS return peparer's office to send my IL CPA license which I did and received letter saying "As a registered CPA you cannot associate the credential with your preparer tax identification number (PTIN)". I called the number listed on notice and spoke to manager and explained when I initially registered CPA, IRS did recognized my CPA credential as valid and registered me for PTIN what has changed now she says that's how its been, under form W 12 it asks for professional certification and licensed in which state. It does not explicitly states registered or licensed CPA. Then I called IDFPR (IL Dept of Financial & professional regulation) they told me from 2012 going forward all CPA's are granted Licensed CPA and no more registered CPA and that I am grandfathered and not required to do CPE of 120 hours every 3 years. Can any IL registered CPA's in this forum share their experiences for this issue and whether anybody else received this letter.

Thanks

https://www.icpas.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/advocacy/government-relations/irs-letter-regarding-registered-cpas.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Wondering if that link will help you.  A short glance seems to indicate that registered CPAs are treated differently by the IRS than licensed CPAs for the state of Illinois.  

Out of curiousity, I started to look this up and found the same letter that Gail did, dated in 2007. The interesting thing is that there's and explanation and a Q&A page dated 2013 from the IL CPA Society explaining the updated requirements that mentions the 2012 grandfathering in, and the Q&A says that those "registered" can prepare taxes and give tax advice.  Obviously these are unofficial sources, but find it confusing that the state society would have the information *that* wrong. 

The main differences appear to be that those licensed can perform review and audits while registered CPAs can't, and the registered CPAs aren't required to attend continuing education.

That being said, I don't see how the IRS would ever allow those that are "registered" to practice before the IRS without ongoing CPE. 

From IL CPA society: https://www.icpas.org/information/licensing-registration

FAQs: https://www.icpas.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/information/licensing-registration/illinois-public-accounting-act-faqs-2013.pdf?sfvrsn=0

how the IRS would ever allow those that are "registered" to practice before the IRS without ongoing CPE

This is what is all about. I argued with IRS tax preparer office saying back then when I got IL registered CPA your office accepted my credentials as valid to be recognized and enrolled & listed me under IRS tax preparer database and what has changed overnight that you wont now. I spoke to IL dept of financial & professional regulation they are suggesting since law changed from 2012 wherein all subsequent CPA's are licensed CPA and no more registered CPA's and then I am grandfathered and would not be subject to 3 year 120 CPE requirements as the case may be for licensed CPA's.