ATX Community

MD tax preparer re: CEU & licensing

kelly tate

This is my first posting.  Pardon me if it's a little disjointed.  I am trying to find out if  MD tax preparers received a written notice that CEU & a license is

required for doing  MD taxes.   And when did you receive the notice. 

Been denied exemption because of  lacking 2013 CEU.  Have every other year CEUs

I am trying to fight with knowledge that MD did not notify the tax preparers in writing what the requirements were.  Been doing taxes since 1996.

Edited by jklcpa
edited title only - for clarity

http://dllr.state.md.us/license/taxprep/taxpreplic.shtml#reg

http://dllr.state.md.us/license/taxprep/taxprepcpe.shtml

The CEU are required to renew the tax preparer licensing in MD. Attesting to completion should have been part of the license renewal process.

I deleted your other 5 duplicate posts. I'm not sure what the delay was in posting, but they appeared to all be the same.

Maryland didn't notify me (personally) that the rules were changing, but they posted on their website that in order to prepare taxes you needed to be a CPA, EA or to pass the exam they had prepared.  Before the Love case, the IRS didn't inform me either but their website mentioned that you had to pass the tests if you wanted to prepare taxes for other people.

Are they required to notify tax preparers o tax preparers need to know the requirements?

Another question, if you have been doing taxes for so long, why don't you sit on the exam which is a very simple exam you don't have to explain how long you have been doing taxes?

• Like 2

Agree with Pacun that it is up to us to know and keep up with the laws of our given profession. The first inkling that a law change in professional requirements may be being discussed by the state board or state legislature usually comes from my state society website posting (used to be newsletter), by postings on the Dept of Revenue's website section for tax professionals, by trade publications, by participating in online forums such as this one, and by attending the ethics CPE for my state where regulatory changes are covered. With that being said, there is also a section on my individual permit to practice and also on my society memberships that I am in compliance with the CPE requirements.

From the website linked below, it appears that the law change was effective in March of 2012, so you've had at least 2 biennial renewals since then to notice the change. According to the last section on the linked page, there are limited reasons the State will renew a licence when the applicant is not in compliance with CPE, but not knowing the law is not one of them.  http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/SubtitleSearch.aspx?search=09.38.02