ATX Community

Dependents

Sandy

Hello,

I know the answer to this but want to verify. I have a client that can file HOH as he can claim his girlfriend ( on SSI) to get that status. She also has 2 children that he does support but could be claimed by her if she had any earned income to report, therefore the children are just claimed by no-one. Is this correct? Is there anyway that he can claim them?

Sandy

Hello,

I know the answer to this but want to verify. I have a client that can file HOH as he can claim his girlfriend ( on SSI) to get that status. She also has 2 children that he does support but could be claimed by her if she had any earned income to report, therefore the children are just claimed by no-one. Is this correct? Is there anyway that he can claim them?

Sandy

I don't see how a girlfriend can be a Qualifying Person for HOH status, regardless of what income sources she has.

Are you switching your questions now? Based on what you have said... HRB might be right.

"I have a client that can file HOH as he can claim his girlfriend ( on SSI) to get that status."

Girlfriend does not qualify taxpayer as HOH; if on welfare support worksheet needs to be done for each dependent that he wants to claim as welfare IS included in the support test.

Why do we care what HRB did, or anybody else for that matter? lbb

Exactly... you should NOT care about what HRB did because situations change from year to year. Maybe last year he qualified to claim them and this year he doesn't. When you review returns prepared by someone else the following year, you glance at the return. If within 2 minutes you determine that there is a big mistake on the return, then you let the client know and suggest to amend if necessary. You do not pull out your dependent support sheet and ask them all the questions about the already-filed-year and try to find out why HRB claimed them as dependents. Tax payers hired you to prepare this years return NOT to audit HRB work. As I said, I see the returns and if I do not see anything completely abnormal, I continue to do the work I was hired for.