ATX Community

New Client says he hasn't filed since 1987

Sandy031316

One of my favorite stories. 20 years ago TP(?) new client walked into my small town office & said he needed to file for SS. I suggested that he go to SS office in the city since he has already paid them for that service. He indicated that he had, but they wanted his last 3 years returns. I said so? He says he hasn't filed last three years. I ask when did he last file. He says NEVER. Seems he left the navy after WWII, bought a truck & equipment & earned a living for 40 years painting farm buildings for cash. Never filed a return. I prepared 3 returns using "best evidence available" & he collected SS til he died 15 years later.

Depends. Does he owe money? Is he getting refunds? Is he being hassled by state/federal authorities?

I don't know a hard-and-fast rule for this. Talk to your client and use some judgment. There are various relevant statutes of limitations. He won't get refunds that are out of statute (three years for IRS), but the three-year SOL for audit and the ten-year SOL for collections do not even begin until the returns are filed. Because of that, if he owes money, you should file all of them, or he'll owe it forever. Look up your state SOLs too, don't just rely on the federal ones. They're probably posted on the state's web site.

California has a 20-year SOL for collections, so I just filed ten for a client. FTB was sending him tax bills (on imaginary income). Since he did not owe taxes, otherwise I would probably have stopped at four years, just to collect his refunds.

I had a new client walk in today with a box of papers says he hasn't filed since 1987

I've never had this happen before, how far back should I file him

>>the guy named Irwin Schiff<<

Tax protesters are just one category of non-filer. There are many other reasons, mostly having to do with things other than refund or balance due. And there are a number of reasons for deciding to get straight. Three in particular come up pretty often: INS, district attorney (represented by a probation officer), and Jesus (represented by either a new wife or a 12-step sponsor).

Wonder what type of tax return Jesus files?

Reverend Booger (AMEN)

P.S. I assume that the Jesus mentioned in jainens response is pronounced GEESUS and not HAYSEUSS.

I don't take these clients. Send them to the IRS. They may do them free.

Hey Rev, render unto Ceasar the things that are Ceasar's.