ATX Community

Form 8275 disclosure stmt. Anyone use this before?

schirallicpa

I have not used this form before.  this year I have a client who lost his records and I was looking thru forms and disclosures to see if there was something to say that we are using some estimates on the return.  Now - the thing is - this is not a high dollar client, and heck - i bet half the time I get estimates anyway.  But, the question is, how often does anyone use the 8275, and is it supposed to be used just for positions taken, not just some run-of-the-mill estimates made on an individual return.

Just one thing after another this year.:wall:

I use it for a former cop who retired on disability but is now well past retirement age.  Every year I attach pages of court cases and rulings he got from the police union years ago defending the "no tax ever" stance.

I would not use it in your case.  Put the client on extension and tell him to go get copies of the records.  He can order an IRS transcript after tax season to see what data they have.  Use your estimates to calculate how much he should pay with the extension.

What you are doing is what we all do without realizing it--we do the client's work for them.  Sure, if they forget their property tax and I can easily access it online, I do it because it's better than putting the return aside for however long for want of that one number.  But why should I waste time trying to find a child care provider's EIN or call in for their student loan interest?  And let them contact their broker for basis info.  I can look up this year's increase in Soc Security and calculate what they got from last year's numbers, but I'm really, really busy right now.  In the interest of expediency, we fall into the trap of taking over the clients' responsibilities, which is part of the reason why we are working 16 hour days right now.

• Like 1