ATX Community

taxable portion of state refund

ljwalters

I think the ATX calculations for the taxable portion of the CA state refund is wrong. If it is not could some one tell me the calculations.

Refund from last years state return 1099G was $432. The total Sch A deduction were $35,443. The state taxes (06) were $3,025 the local taxes were $899. There was no AMT. MFJ return.

The 1040 Line 10 worksheet (07 return now) at the top calculates the rufund as taxable amt $256. Why is this and is it correct.

Seems to me it should be the whole amount.

I do CA returns and got tripped up by this as well. Before you attribute it to ATX check out the ATX help for Line 10, specifically:

"4. Your 2006 state and local income tax refund is more than your 2006 state and local income tax deduction minus the amount you could have deducted as your 2006 state and local general sales tax".

And of course you know that if the client itemized in 2006 and claimed sales tax paid rather than state tax paid then the refund is not taxable in 2007.

>>ATX was right after all.<<

That's what I was trying to tell you. I have seen a lot of complaints about ATX, and it usually goes back to incorrect data entry or interpretation. No doubt ATX could have an easier interface and better diagnostics and tech support, but taxes are complex and every program has a steep learning curve.