ATX Community

The IRS phone people need a spanking.

Catherine

THIRTY EIGHT-plus minutes on hold listening to that miserable aggravating muzak the IRS torments us with, to get a recording saying "Due to technical difficulties, we are unable to answer your call at the present time. Please try again later." Click. Excuse me?!?! You couldn't have said that within the first TEN minutes?

I don't often yell into my phone, but this time I did. Don't recall using any potty-mouth words but I won't guarantee that, either.  I'm so mad I could kick someone into the next county right about now.

• Like 5

Then they need to start putting fax numbers on the stupid letters.  Instead, they give phone numbers (sometimes plural) and say to call for a number if you need to fax in a response.  So professionals tie up the lines looking for a frimping fax number, only to get disconnected by bad phone systems.  the phone maintenance people are the ones needing a spanking.  If they're going to hang up on people, it should be immediately , not after three quarters of an hour or more.

• Like 5

I had the IRS hangup this summer. Drove me freakin nuts. You know what really drove me nuts? Client had died (IRS knew this) and they mailed a CP notice to the client for a final return adjustment. Well, the IRS basically refused to talk to anyone about the account. Me, the client's POA, the client's family members and the client's attorney. The IRS agents on the phone said the only person they could talk with was a court appointed executor but 100% of the assets were in a trust and already distributed by the time the CP arrived. All that was remaining was this refund check. Very frustrating.

• Like 2