ATX Community

1099 from Canada

Oh Baby!

Client gave me his tax documents and included was a 1099 he received from a company in Canada which shows that he received $15,000. I assume that is Canadian, so what exchange rate do I use since he earned the money over the course of a year?

Average for the year is about 1.07. The highs were at the beginning of 2007 and were about 1.17; for the last 3 months of the year, it was just about par.

Maribeth

Shouldn't you ask the company or the client to be sure? After all, the transmittal copy of the 1099 shows the same info as the Copy B the client received.

I have a client who is employed by a Canadian company. He receives a W-2, but I don't convert it to Canadian $. If he received a 1099, I'd want to inquire before reporting anything.

Client gave me his tax documents and included was a 1099 he received from a company in Canada which shows that he received $15,000. I assume that is Canadian, so what exchange rate do I use since he earned the money over the course of a year?

Don't assume; ask. Lots of Canadian companies keep US-dollar accounts for paying US vendors. Others convert before sending paperwork -- you may end up converting something that doesn't need it.

Catherine