ATX Community

Increase in basis?

ILLMAS

TP inherited a building (100% rental, no personal use) with a FMV of 1M, a family member lawyered up and wanted a piece of the pie, after of a couple years of back and forth negotiation, TP and family member settled on $200K, TP also paid about 50K in legal fees.  Would the 200K be an increase to TP basis and the 50K could be expensed on Sch E?  

Thanks

MAS 

If I am understanding the scenario correctly there would be no addition to basis fro the $200,000.  Or I guess you could increase the basis by $200,000 if you first reduced the basis by $200,000.  It sounds like the courts or the facilitator simply redistributed the assets.  The family member would have received $200,000 of the building and your client would have received $800,000 of the building.  When your client writes the check, his basis then goes to $1,000,000.

I do not see the legal fees as being a Schedule E deduction.  Maybe schedule A because your client is trying to protect his assets - but Schedule A might even be a stretch.  I would probable lean toward increasing the building basis by the $50,000 of legal fees.

• Like 1