ATX Community

PA Help Needed

Lion EA

Elderly lady in assisted living, now in memory care unit in Pittsburgh, is mother of a current client (not a PA resident, in fact living/working in Singapore for a few years). Son & wife asked me to prepare  mother's 2017 and 2018 returns (2018 extension was filed). In 2017, she sold her primary residence. Other than that sale, she has only IRA distributions, pension distributions, and social security benefits. Are there any local tax filings for a PA resident with a Pittsburgh address and without any earned income?

No, only for earned income, same as all other PA localities.  The sale of the home is excluded if she lived there 2 of the last 5 years and did not sell a previous home within the last 2 years.  The pensions, SS, and IRAs are not taxable in PA.

• Like 2

Thank you. I've had clients in the Philly area and Harrisburg and in the mountains/Delaware River of Starlight, PA. But, not enough to feel confident about crazy PA local taxes.

She was in her home for decades, went into an assisted living situation in 2016, sold the house in 2017, and now in 2019 is in a memory care unit. I'm filing 2017 and 2018 now.

A hotshot Pittsburgh CPA filed 2016 and prior years, but her adult son and wife haven't been happy with his lack of attention. And, unfiled 2017 return. I need to make sure that I screw up LESS than he did !!

She's going to be fine. House sold for WAY under $250,000. All other income is retirement income. Unfortunately, since she wasn't being helped much during 2017 and 2018, she wasn't making ES payments to the IRS. And, none so far in 2019. So, the balances due and a catch-up 2019 ES payment for the IRS will be a bit of a shock for her son/wife. But, they're my clients and related to my stepdaughter, and they like me! We'll get 2020 under control.

Thank you FDNY. I love this board. Everybody knows something; everybody can help somebody at sometime!

• Like 2

I couldn't agree with you more about this board, it is truly a great help for us, especially during the season.  I'm also happy that ATX has all the local PA forms from Berkheimer/Keystone with the various local tax rates.  A lot of my retired clients moved from NY to Poconos to avoid tax on their pensions, not sure they are happy with all the snow.  One told me they have two seasons, winter and getting ready for winter.

• Like 2