ATX Community

PA Tax Questions

Lion EA

I've asked similar questions in prior years, but couldn't locate them in a search. My one of very few PA clients listed their (MFJ) taxes as

Starlight, PA $295

School tax $2,384.18

Real estate $922.09

Occupation $137.20

In a prior year, she had used the phrase Property tax; does that sound like the current Real estate?

Which of the above are expenses for their single-family rental house?

Oops, I can't tell what she gave me for their residence vs. what she gave me for their rental. I'll ask her. Other than Sch. A vs. Sch. E, does it make any difference which types of taxes are deductible?

The first one doesn't have enough of a label to determine what it is. It could be a per person/per capita tax for anyone living in that town or even the township's earned income tax paid separate from withholding if the person owes that and isn't withheld from W-2 or owes on s.e. income.

The next 2 in the list are property taxes.

The occupation tax is this:

The Occupation Tax is an Act 511 tax authorized by the Pennsylvania State Legislature many years ago to relieve the school tax burden from resting solely on property owners. ... Issued to any person who is working, this tax is based on an individual's job title.