ATX Community

Amend or Not???

Terry D EA

First, wrong time of year for this type of stuff. But.... one of my client's had their 2018 refund reduced due to an expired ITIN. The IRS declined the child tax credits for three dependent children and the additional child tax credit as well. The ITIN has been renewed. Can we amend the 2018 tax return to obtain the reduced refund?

I don't see why not. I will be amending lots of VA state returns because the software didn't dance with the laws. Tax returns are changed, then the software updated, tax returns changed by the software update and look right, but were rejected. 

All amendments will wait until after April 15th plus a week. 

Thanks for the reply. ILLMAS  that is what I thought too. I pulled the client's transcript through e-services and it shows the reduced refund but nothing else. No indications of them automatically returning the refund. The ITIN was renewed the summer of 2019 so six months has passed. I guess maybe the best thing to do is call the practitioner priority line to see if they show anything regarding issuing the refund. 

29 minutes ago, Terry D said:

Thanks for the reply. ILLMAS  that is what I thought too. I pulled the client's transcript through e-services and it shows the reduced refund but nothing else. No indications of them automatically returning the refund. The ITIN was renewed the summer of 2019 so six months has passed. I guess maybe the best thing to do is call the practitioner priority line to see if they show anything regarding issuing the 

I would call or have the client call the IRS asap, the ITIN department has to notify the IRS to release the refund.  An IRS agent will look into the account and manually put the release.   ITIN depart. and the IRS are two different agencies and are not on the same page.

• Like 1