ATX Community

Prefers paper check

Possi

My sister who has multiple problems from MS in the brain and spine to simply poor judgement, has debt on a bank credit card that she cannot pay. Ever. Two credit cards, in fact.

She only gets SSI, so the bank cannot garnish that, but I think they can take that stimulus check if it is auto deposited like her SSI check is. 

I believe that since her SSI check is auto dep'd her stimulus check will be, too. 

How can I be sure she gets a paper check? 

I think it would go to the same account, and the government isn't to grab those funds for outstanding tax debts, but I don't see the bank benig able to make a distinction of those funds if going to an account where funds are automatically garnished.

If that is her only income, I'm assuming she has no filing requirement?  Drake came out yesterday with the way that those "simple" returns are to be filed if there is otherwise no filing requirement and that would allow for direct deposit information to be entered. If this would work, could she possibly set up a separate account with another bank specific for the stimulus check that she could draw on?

That still won't allow her to request a paper check, and that's my only idea and not sure this is possible for her. Maybe someone else will offer another option. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

I think it would go to the same account, and the government isn't to grab those funds for outstanding tax debts, but I don't see the bank benig able to make a distinction of those funds if going to an account where funds are automatically garnished.

If that is her only income, I'm assuming she has no filing requirement?  Drake came out yesterday with the way that those "simple" returns are to be filed if there is otherwise no filing requirement and that would allow for direct deposit information to be entered. If this would work, could she possibly set up a separate account with another bank specific for the stimulus check that she could draw on?

That's my only idea and not sure this is possible for her. Maybe someone else will offer another option. 

Hmmmm that's a thought. Always a problem though. One getting her out, and two staying quarantined. What a mess. But that might be the only way.

No, she is not required to file, and you think it will be auto deposited because her SSI is auto deposited? I mean, you agree with me, that it will?

Thanks~

Yes, if she doesn't file anything, then the stimulus check would go to the bank on file where other benefits such as SSA, SSI, or VA benefits are paid.

How about setting up one of those online-only checking or savings accounts with a nominal amount to open. Would that work?

Edit - one I just checked is Capital One.  Its "360 Checking" is completely fee free, does not require money to open, and comes with a debit card that is sent by mail. Main link is here:  https://www.capitalone.com/bank/checking-accounts/online-checking-account/#id_why360checking

and from there check out more account features and terms.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jklcpa said:

Yes, if she doesn't file anything, then the stimulus check would go to the bank on file where other benefits such as SSA, SSI, or VA benefits are paid.

How about setting up one of those online-only checking or savings accounts with a nominal amount to open. Would that work?

Edit - one I just checked is Capital One.  Its "360 Checking" is completely fee free, does not require money to open, and comes with a debit card that is sent by mail. Main link is here:  https://www.capitalone.com/bank/checking-accounts/online-checking-account/#id_why360checking

You are BRILLIANT! 

Now to get her stimulus check changed to this account. I'm all over this. God Bless you, Judy! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Oh my gosh, I have been crazy trying to figure this out, but I finally did it. 

I sent an extension in for her with a $2 payment from the new account. 

Once that is ack'd, I'll send a tax return and get that $2 back into the new account. That should bring it full circle.

THANK YOU again. My sister only gets about $1000/mo and her rent is over $700, so this will help her. 

• Sad 1