ATX Community

Form 1040X

Dan

How would you state the reason for each change for lines 1,2,3,5,13, & 14 on part II Form 1040X if you received a W-2c corrected wage and tax statement which showed less income in box 1 than shown on the original W-2 statement?

For example:

Line 1: Adjusted gross income was changed due to corrected W-2c statement in box 1.

Line 2: Itemized deductions was changed due to incorrect amount stated on schedule A, line 5b.

Line 3 & 5: These lines were changed because of lines 1 & 2.

Line 13: Earned income credit was changed due to corrected W-2c statement in box 1.

Line 14: Additional child tax credit was changed due to corrected W-2c statement in box 1.

Are the above reasons for each change in Part II of Form 1040X the correct way to do them or is there a better way that they should be written?

Thanks for your early response.

That's pretty much how I do it. I may not list every line change because obviously if one line changes it's going to automatically effect the others. But I do explain key changes, such as change in AGI, Itemized Deductions, EIC, Additional child tax credit,ect. I also include any new forms that may not have been generated by the original return, such as in your case if AGI is now less perhaps on the original return you didn't file for EIC. I would therefore include the new form.

Hope this helps!

Deb!

How would you state the reason for each change for lines 1,2,3,5,13, & 14 on part II Form 1040X if you received a W-2c corrected wage and tax statement which showed less income in box 1 than shown on the original W-2 statement?

For example:

Line 1: Adjusted gross income was changed due to corrected W-2c statement in box 1.

Line 2: Itemized deductions was changed due to incorrect amount stated on schedule A, line 5b.

Line 3 & 5: These lines were changed because of lines 1 & 2.

Line 13: Earned income credit was changed due to corrected W-2c statement in box 1.

Line 14: Additional child tax credit was changed due to corrected W-2c statement in box 1.

Are the above reasons for each change in Part II of Form 1040X the correct way to do them or is there a better way that they should be written?

Thanks for your early response.

Lines 2, 3, 5, 13 & 14 Changed due to above listed correction.

Keep it simple for the folks at the IRS. Chances are the person who processes it will not understand your complete and detailed explanation.