ATX Community

Phishing email

ILLMAS

A client of mine received an email having them verifying their SS#, TP responded with the correct SS#, besides notifying the three credit companies, FTC, local police, should they notify the IRS even if there is no fraud yet?  Also, if you can think of another department they should notify, I would share it with them. 

Thanks

They will be notifying SSA too.

Because your client has not yet had a confirmed case of theft, he or she will only be eligible if a resident of one of the designated areas listed on this IRS page:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

If eligible, I'd encourage him or her to apply since he/she did fall for the phishing scam and gave out the SSN.

• Like 2

Have them send Form 14039.  There you can check that you don't know if anyone filed taxes for you but that you are a victim.  Then explain the circumstances.  I did this for one client who was involved in a big data breach and hadn't yet experienced adverse consequences  but was worried.  He was given an IP PIN.  The same for another client who had his cell phone shut off when someone bought a new one with his account info.

• Like 2