ATX Community

Is NCIS considered military?

Possi

I don't know either.   It is connected to the Navy but is a civilian-run agency.  Being paid by DFAS also isn't indicative; I have a civilian nurse that works for a VA hospital and her W-2 is issued by DFAS too. 

Employees of NCIS don't have to be military or have military experience, but it may be helpful.

I think your best bet is to ask the client.  

6 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

Good question.  I don't know.  My guess would be not because I don't think they are eligible for base housing or considered to have rank unless they carry it over from previous military service.  But I cannot say definitively.  Curious to see what others say.

You're right, no BAQ or military rank. 

3 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

I don't know either.   It is connected to the Navy but is a civilian-run agency.  Being paid by DFAS also isn't indicative; I have a civilian nurse that works for a VA hospital and her W-2 is issued by DFAS too. 

Employees of NCIS don't have to be military or have military experience, but it may be helpful.

I think your best bet is to ask the client.  

I didn't know it was merely connected to the Navy but civilian-run. 

I have my answer. Thanks, y'all! 

Augh, yet one more misuse of "comprise" which is synonymous with "include", not "compose"!

From Words on Writing (by Erin Hart):

"When using the word comprise, follow these five guidelines.

Comprise is a stand-alone verb—it does not need a helping verb like “is” or “was” or a modal verb like “will” or “might” to create future tense.

Prepositions like “of” do not grammatically follow comprise.

Comprise is a transitive verb and must be followed by a noun or series of nouns.

Going from large to small is essential when using comprise—the whole comprises the parts.

Comprise can be interchanged grammatically with “contain” but not with “compose.”

• Thanks 1