ATX Community

Help - Where to enter disallowed related party loss?

BulldogTom

Tom, offhand, I'd say that you just show disposition of the property for the amount of the taxpayer's basis. T's basis becomes the transferee's basis. Amount of $ trading hands is immaterial.. that's what the rule disallowing losses from sale to related parties is all about, I think. I could be all wrong.

I did not think about adjusting the basis.

What I did was to add another line to the 4797 for a gain equal to the amount of the loss and described it as related party loss.

I like your idea. I am hesitant to play with the basis though. When I read the master tax guide, the losses can offset a gain in the future for the purchasing party. But they calculate their gain, and then offset it to the amount of the disallowed losses. That does not sound like a basis adjustment to me.

I am just talking out loud because I don't know for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I think I'd show the amount realized from the "sale" as an amount equal to the T's basis, regardless of how much $ he actually got. That way he doesn't show a loss. The sister takes the property and assumes her brother's basis, again regardless of the amount of $ trading hands. I think the underlying concept is that $ in one family member's pockets are indistinguishable from $ in another family member's pocket. It's like a really large pair of pants.. I better sign off, before I get really silly. Hopefully someone else will chime in. (It is 3 hrs later here in Indy than it is in CA)

I thought about that (it was the first thing that I tried) but I don't believe that is the way to go. I think I want the 4797 tracking because those losses become deductible to the sister if she ever sells for a gain. Right now she is planning to use as a personal residence (which on sale makes the whole point moot), but if she turns it back to a rental and sells for a gain down the road, those losses can offset the gain. If I mess with the basis or make the loss personal and don't have a paper trail of the amount, 10 years from now it might matter. Who knows, one of you might be her tax preparer and want to save her some tax $$$.

Thanks for the idea.

Tom

Lodi, CA