ATX Community

Anyway for IRS to Block use of dependent ssn

Randall

But the IP PIN is for the taxpayer and spouse.  Since when can a dependent get one, and where would you enter it?  Your clients need to file a paper return claiming the child.  The IRS will send both parties who claimed that child letters and will sort it out.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sara EA said:

But the IP PIN is for the taxpayer and spouse.  Since when can a dependent get one, and where would you enter it?  Your clients need to file a paper return claiming the child.  The IRS will send both parties who claimed that child letters and will sort it out.

I wondered about this too and checked and found that Drake actually has a spot to enter an IP PIN for a dependent.

• Like 3

I looked on irs.gov.  It seems you can get a pin for a dependent.  I didn't try myself.   I think it might be new.  ATX has a place for a pin on the dependents worksheet.  I wouldn't count on IRS sorting it out for future years.  Another client, grandparents with two grandsons (son died, mother is out there in drugville).  Every year their return is rejected, mail the paper returns.  They get their refunds and acceptance of the dependents.  But there's no hold on the mother doing it again and again year after year.  This was my initial question, why can't IRS put a stop on the person claiming the dependent.  But if the dependent can get a pin, that may work for future years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Randall said:

I think it might be new. 

It's not that new.  You've been able to e-file with dependent IP PINs for quite a while.  There is no place for the dependent pin on a paper return, so the other party could still paper file.  I don't know if the IRS holds such paper returns or not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TexTaxToo said:

It's not that new.  You've been able to e-file with dependent IP PINs for quite a while.  There is no place for the dependent pin on a paper return, so the other party could still paper file.  I don't know if the IRS holds such paper returns or not.

Yes but the other party probably wouldn't paper file because of the time.  They need to get in there fast and first.

• Like 2