ATX Community

Changing joint refund check

Gail in Virginia

I have a client who filed jointly with his spouse last year (2019 return).  He was the only one that had income and withholding.  The check for the refund was finally issued in both of their names.  She is out of the country and they do not have a joint bank account.  (i think they filed jointly in part because he is trying to get her a visa to come here and also trying to get her a social security number and/or ITIN.)  The return was of course paper filed.

He can't cash the refund check because her name is on the check and she can't endorse it because she isn't here.  Is there any way to get the check reissued in just his name?  Would writing to TAS accomplish anything?  Having filed jointly, I don't think he can change to filing MFS.  Any suggestions?

Can he deposit the check into his own account? Mobile app, ATM, etc. Then he'll have access to the funds. Depending on the amount, it could be worth opening a no-fee account if he has no bank account at all.

Can they open a joint account at Bank of America, HBSC, or another large bank with branches in her country? She should be able to do the ID verification from a branch near her while he does his at his local branch where he's opening the account.