ATX Community

2021 CTC rat maze

Sara EA

Yesterday I decided to learn more about the new CTC, advance, repayment etc.  I ended up more confused than when I began. The advance phases out after AGI of $150k MSJ, $112k HOH, and &75k all others.  The phase out is $50 for every $1k over.  I didn't do the math to see where it ends. The normal $2k credit begins to phase out at $400k MFS and $200k everyone else. Repayment has a couple of safe harbors but I couldn't figure out how they intertwine--something like no repayment for AGI $120k, $100k, $80k, and full forgiveness up to $2k if IRS claimed the advance on too many kids for AGIs less than $60k, $50k, $40k.  I might have the above all mixed up, but notice how every calculation has a different AGI starting/ending point?  Who came up with this confusing/complex/no rhyme or reason perplexity???  I think we're all going to have to do something we hate to do--blindly rely on the software.  Or maybe we should all demand that any politician who wants our vote have to submit the answer to the CTC for, say, a couple with three kids making $190k, and show proof of work done by hand!

• Like 4