ATX Community

CA Balance Due Returns - Payment being returned?

catax

Anyone having problems with CA balance due return payments being returned? I can't get through on the Practioner number. All returns were e-filed and show accepted in my system. I have three returns with balance due all in the same family and the balances were all returned by Franchise Tax Board. Any ideas. No adjustment letters sent just checks.

I have been using preprinted envelopes:

Franchise TAx Board

PO Box 942867

Sacramento, CA 94267-0009

In all cases the checks were processed and cleared. They sent a check back to all three of them from Franchise. I am scared now that their returns were not really received and processed even though my system says accepted. All returns were accepted on Feb 15th. Very, very strange.

I got through to Franchise and they have programed the systems this year to not credit a balance due when the amout is very small. These were under $10. Since there is not a balance due in the system they send a refund check. They say it is not cost effective to bill out for small dollar amounts. I gues they thing it is more cost effective to cash checks and reprint and mail them back to the taxpayer. Nena

It would sure be interesting to learn why FTB system programmers did this. There had to be an official memo. Wonder if

Arnold knows about this ; ) I think the programmers should have, at least, programmed the average price of a tank of gas here in CA. Thank you SO much for bringing this to our attention!!!

Wonder if it was just a programming error.....

that they meant simply to not send bills to those who owed a small amount, and they accidentally changed it to say that the amount was not owed at all?

It would sure be interesting to learn why FTB system programmers did this. There had to be an official memo. Wonder if

Arnold knows about this ; ) I think the programmers should have, at least, programmed the average price of a tank of gas here in CA. Thank you SO much for bringing this to our attention!!!

Wow. I know we live in the land of fruits and nuts, I just didn't realize all the nuts were in Sacramento.

Thanks for the update. At least it is not an ATX thing.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom, not all the Nuts are in Sacramento, take a look just down the road from you--Modesto Nuts, their minor league baseball team :)