ATX Community

Deceased client

kathyc2

28 minutes ago, kathyc2 said:

Unmarried client passed in Jan 2022.  He would have had some withholding for 2022.  Do I need to wait until 2023 to file a claim for it with a 1040?

Off the top of my head, I would say yes.  But you may contact the employer and request they reimburse the estate for the income tax withheld so the W2 will show zero tax withheld.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Randall said:

Off the top of my head, I would say yes.  But you may contact the employer and request they reimburse the estate for the income tax withheld so the W2 will show zero tax withheld.

|That's a good idea.  However, it's from a monthly IRA payment and he also had withholding on SS benefits. 

I would also say hold it for 2023.  There are enough kinky problems with the IRS already.  Their long release today regarding how they are going to stop sending dunning letters, etc., is about 6 or 7 months late.  I have a few letters and information packets in that pile of unopened and unanswered letters that they are sitting on already.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcb39 said:

I would also say hold it for 2023.  There are enough kinky problems with the IRS already.  Their long release today regarding how they are going to stop sending dunning letters, etc., is about 6 or 7 months late.  I have a few letters and information packets in that pile of unopened and unanswered letters that they are sitting on already.

I agree now that there's additional info.