ATX Community

E-services access these days

Margaret CPA in OH

I faxed a client's 2848 last week and tried to check with e-services to see if was accepted yet so I could get transcripts.  Well, I cannot find where it went.  I searched and it took me id.me, I had to have my face scanned and uploaded the 2848 also.  But I still can't figure out how to see that one or any of the previous ones listed.  Where did IRS hide it?

Bummer - trying to file a 2018 for a woman with dementia onset in 2018 who was told (heard) that she didn't need to file tax returns any longer because tax was withheld from her retirement distributions.  Turns out she actually had a 2018 W-2 and substantial withholdings so is due a  $5000+ refund but I need to see if there are outstanding other income reports.  Her brother was able to get a duplicate W-2 from the university (really good luck!).  In the ensuing years she discarded all, and I mean all, financial information and documents. 

I figure worst case is that we paper file by April 10 and if I can't find out any other documents like 1099's, IRS will find it/them and reduce her refund.  I'm thinking the interest earned would offset it.  Then on to 2019, 2020, and 2021 after April 15.  Her retirement 1099's were able to be downloaded and lots of extra withholdings so all good.

• Like 2