ATX Community

Update on charges for e-file extension

bstaxes

Just got off the phone with ATX about charging a $1 for each extension I e-filed. The amount is under $20 which will not cause me to go bankrupt or make CCH rich. It is the principal. The gentleman I spoke with said I must be over 100 e-files. Uhm these e-files were 4/12 since that time I e-filed 5 more return (not extension) with date 4/14 and 4/15 and was not charged. He told me that only fed and state piggyback was considered 1 e-file. Direct states are individual and count towards the 100, which was inconsistent with what I was told a year ago). I have about 83 e-files (my clients are not big on e-filing). He also told me that there would be a report later after they finish up with returns. Can't wait for that report.

I asked if the PRS system (have a few 1041's and 1065's) was the same, would I be charged for extension. "NO" that's all included.

He then asked me to renew for next year and get the 10% discount. I told him not at this point and I will wait and IF I renew it would be after the discount date. He told I would save xx dollars (can't remember what the exact amount was). Told him I was not happy with ATX or CCH and I will wait.

What you're seeing is the same mindset I saw when I took my car to the dealer for an oil change and they tacked on a 49 cent "document fee". That is, they charged me a half-dollar to print my invoice.

The 49 cents wont' break me, and the 490 dollars the dealer makes for printing 1,000 invoices each month won't make him rich.

But he fails to understand (or doesn't care) that he loses $4,900 in goodwill every time a customer notices this nonsense.