ATX Community

Investment expenses

tmike

I have a a client (Husband and wife) who paid $23999 to join, participate or otherwise learn how to wisely invest. Without getting into why someone would do this I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the deductability of any or all of these expenses. It does not qualify for lifetime learning credit because it is not an accredited school. It also does not seem to qualify under Sec. 274(h)(7). This package included a seminar, "coaching" workshops and other things designed to make one a successful investor. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. -Mike-

Quoting from Pub 17, "You cannot deduct any expenses for attending a convention, seminar, or similar meeting for investment purposes." Unfortunately, that pretty well sums it up. I have had more than one client "fall" for the "fast talking pros." It is sad that these people can get away with this, but you can't prove that their theories don't work. They always seem to be able to "prove their track record," and they leave the client thinking the seminar or whatever is a deductable investment expense.