ATX Community

QB 2004 and IE 6 or 7

I have a client with a very few transactions on QB 2004. They won't change...no need to do so from their point of view. After tax season I sent my computer for a spa treatment whereupon they installed IE 7. QB 2004 won't work with IE 7 for some reason. Intuit is not at all helpful with this. My computer guy says IE 7 is more secure, etc. Any suggestions?

I just resent having to jump through all these hoops. I don't need any updates for QB 2004 so don't understand why it is required to have a specific browser to even use the program.

I have a client with a very few transactions on QB 2004. They won't change...no need to do so from their point of view. After tax season I sent my computer for a spa treatment whereupon they installed IE 7. QB 2004 won't work with IE 7 for some reason. Intuit is not at all helpful with this. My computer guy says IE 7 is more secure, etc. Any suggestions?

I just resent having to jump through all these hoops. I don't need any updates for QB 2004 so don't understand why it is required to have a specific browser to even use the program.

1) Have your client export all the information. The 2004 program will create a file.

2) Move that file to your computer.

3) Open your new version of QB and use the import function.

4) Be sure to save a copy of the original old file, just in case.

5) Charge them at least the cost of a new version of QB for your technical ability to overcome their choice to stay behind.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have resorted to that sequence for other clients. The problem is the inability to return a file to the client with updated info, reclasses, etc.

I guess I was hoping some technical guru might have figured out a way to inactivate that IE 6 requirement in QB. Sigh... I think it is totally unreasonable. I even posed the question to Intuit tech support. Would one even have been able to install and use QB 2004 without internet access? What if it was on a computer without it? The answer was that it still would have required the installation of the browser.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have resorted to that sequence for other clients. The problem is the inability to return a file to the client with updated info, reclasses, etc.

I guess I was hoping some technical guru might have figured out a way to inactivate that IE 6 requirement in QB. Sigh... I think it is totally unreasonable. I even posed the question to Intuit tech support. Would one even have been able to install and use QB 2004 without internet access? What if it was on a computer without it? The answer was that it still would have required the installation of the browser.

Thanks again!

That software is 4 almost 5 years old. Charge her enough extra that she could have purchased a new version of QB. Too many people are penny smart and dollar foolish. Your time has value.

Another option... Do you provide bookkeeping service? This is a good prospect for that. It is, after all, 2008, not 1968.

I do provide bookkeeping services for several clients, most of whom are on 2006 or 2007. I actually provide the annual service for this client, too. She brings in the check registers and statements and I input the data...where it sits until I need it the next year for the tax returns as I prefer to have things somewhat tidy for support.

I am, at 62, all too keenly aware that it is no longer 1968 - those were the years! I just don't really push folks to spend money unnecessarily. This software does all that is needed for this client or at least it used to. I'll figure out what next to do. Thanks again, and you may have started me on the trek towards the next level of membership here. I have been trying to avoid it. We'll see!

I have IE 7 and just updated my QB 2004 and it worked fine.

On another note, if you go to add/remove programs, you can remove IE 7. It is called "Windows Internet Explorer 7".

(I also posted this because I wanted to see what number post I was on. Boy I have alot of catching up to do.)

I am astonished! When I try to open QB 2004, a box appears that says, " QuickBooks and Internet Explorer...Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 is installed on this computer. Quickbooks 2004 is not compatible with Internet Explorer 7. To ensure uninterrupted QuickBooks use, Intuit recommends the use of Internet Explorer 6. "

It then gives the options to "Use Internet Explorer 6," "Exit QuickBooks," or "Continue."

Son of a Gun!!! I was so intimidated by Options 1 and 2, I never tried "Continue." Well, I just clicked on it and VOILA!, it opened! I feel like such an idiot now. I will slink back into obscurity...

Tomorrow I go to certify about 6 scuba students. I think I need that break even though the water will be about 60 and thunderstorms are in the forecast. At least Microsoft, CCH, and Intuit are not involved!

I am astonished! When I try to open QB 2004, a box appears that says, " QuickBooks and Internet Explorer...Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 is installed on this computer. Quickbooks 2004 is not compatible with Internet Explorer 7. To ensure uninterrupted QuickBooks use, Intuit recommends the use of Internet Explorer 6. "

It then gives the options to "Use Internet Explorer 6," "Exit QuickBooks," or "Continue."

Son of a Gun!!! I was so intimidated by Options 1 and 2, I never tried "Continue." Well, I just clicked on it and VOILA!, it opened! I feel like such an idiot now. I will slink back into obscurity...

Tomorrow I go to certify about 6 scuba students. I think I need that break even though the water will be about 60 and thunderstorms are in the forecast. At least Microsoft, CCH, and Intuit are not involved!

Intuit is notorious for trying to find ways to make you spend money and upgrade. THey have continually crippled features that they used to bundle with the software and then ask you to buy them as separate modules.

They also have bugs, too numerous to mention that they refuse to fix. These tend to be known issues that they either fail to tell their teck support about or tel their support to lie about.

On the other hand all our clients seem to use this piece of crap! Give your clients an option of keeping up with the upgrades and your version of the software or paying you additional, l like Jack said, for your extra time and effort. And personally, I think you should suggest they pay you and blame Intuit!