ATX Community

IRS Conferences

Lion EA

Anybody going to the IRS conference in Las Vegas? NYC? I could take the train into NYC each day, but by the time I pay for parking and train and get up before dawn... The Las Vegas hotel is the cheapest. Are they worth three days out of your life? Are the instructors any good?

I have gone to the Las Vegas Forum for the last two years (I probably won't go this year). I have noticed that generally speaking the classes presented by one of the sponsoring organizations (ie AICPA, NATP, etc.) are a lot better than the classes presented by an IRS employee. There are a lot of people at the Las Vegas Forum so be prepared to deal with crowds. Also I don't stay at the Rio (the host hotel) the Gold Coast is just across the street and it is not a bad place to stay for about $50 per night.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody going to the IRS conference in Las Vegas? NYC? I could take the train into NYC each day, but by the time I pay for parking and train and get up before dawn... The Las Vegas hotel is the cheapest. Are they worth three days out of your life? Are the instructors any good?

Hey Lion,

For three or more years, I've daily trained in from Huntington, Long Island to attend the IRS forum in NYC -- as I'm planning to do, this August. I've never caught the first session, and so never "wake before dawn," but always have attended every session/topic that matters to my clients & me -- given the redundant sessions built into the schedule.

Most of the IRS presenters provide solid, good insight into their areas -- as do the state (including CT) & NYC presenters. Moreover, I've 'collared' not too few presenters afterwards, in order to get their contact data or even plead a particular client's case -- and that face-time has provided priceless followup recognition a couple of times. Then there's the other practitioners I meet -- always a surprise and not too infrequently leading to referrals & collaborations -- among the several *hundreds* attending the NYC forum.

Now, the cost of parking & LIRR is negligible for me, as I have enough clients in the five boroughs to require 20-30 trips to NYC annually; so I'm astonished that flying to & hoteling in Las Vegas actually would be cheaper for you. I.e., I had no idea MTA-North doesn't give you the 'deal' I get from LIRR -- e.g., its 10-ride cards good for a year, available online for a discount. I also think it's valuable to 'stay local' with my cellphone & nightly returns to my home office, for those 2-1/2 days -- i.e., the third day in NYC is so short, my spouse usually joins me for museum-hopping or shopping, supper & a show, in that order.

Hope I've added a few, new factors to your deliberation.

VTY, TaxCPANY

Thank you very much for your thoughts, TaxCPANY. Parking is gone at the Westport station before 7 or 6 a.m., so it's either before dawn or a night or two in a hotel or exorbitant parking in NY; and I wanted to make sure the seminars are worth the hassle &/or expense of getting there. It sounds like they are. I appreciate your sharing your experiences.