ATX Community

SS from deceased parent

kathyc2

Middle aged client received what looks like 1/2 father's SS benefit for one month.  Her sister received the other 1/2. Her SS is listed as beneficiary so obviously she filled out some kind of paperwork, but doesn't know detail.

I'm not disputing that it's taxable to her.  I've never seen this before and just curious if anyone knows what kind of situation would have benefit paid to adult children.

Usually SS monthly benefits are paid about the 10th of the month. If the recipient passes away before the end of the same month,

the SSA will reach out and take back that month's payment. I am not aware of any reason  that adult children will receive

anything other than the death benefit or $255.

• Like 2

"• Certain family members may be eligible to receive monthly benefits, including:

—A widow or widower age 60 or older (age 50 or older if disabled).

—A widow or widower of any age caring for the deceased’s child who is under age 16 or disabled.

—An unmarried child of the deceased who is either: ◦ Younger than age 18 (or up to age 19 if they’re a full-time student in an elementary or secondary school). ◦ Age 18 or older with a disability that began before age 22. 

—A stepchild, grandchild, stepgrandchild, or adopted child under certain circumstances.

—Parents, age 62 or older, who were dependent on the deceased for at least half of their support.

—A surviving divorced spouse, under certain circumstances"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

Usually SS monthly benefits are paid about the 10th of the month

Social Security payments dates vary with the day of the month you were born, and either get paid on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month.

Social Security retirement, disability, and survivors benefits all are distributed on one of three Wednesdays each month for beneficiaries who began receiving benefits after May 1997. When a beneficiary will receive their payments depends on their birth date, as described below:

If you were born between the 1st and the 10th, you will receive your Social Security payments on the second Wednesday of each month.

If you were born between the 11th and the 20th, you will receive your Social Security payments on the third Wednesday of each month.

If you were born between the 21st and the 31st, you will receive your Social Security payments on the fourth Wednesday of each month.

Source: https://www.investopedia.com/social-security-payment-schedule-5213627

• Like 1

None of the special situations apply to her. Also, the 255 is only paid if there is a surviving spouse, not adult children. 

I just thought it strange since I've never seen it before. 

I've always thought it's not fair that when someone signs up benefits are delayed a month, but upon their demise that month is not made up.  I looked a little to see if it might have changed but didn't find anything. 

On 2/23/2023 at 12:49 PM, Abby Normal said:

Social Security payments dates vary with the day of the month you were born, and either get paid on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month.

People that began to receive thier payments before 1997 receive their payments on the 3rd of month.