ATX Community

Colorado

Lion EA

I see the IRS guidance re CO Cashback. Do we leave these state payments off the federal return entirely, or report them and them back them off/zero them out on another line? If the latter, where?

From what I read from CO, they do NOT add it back on the CO return. (And, no subtracting, now that the IRS has spoken.)

By the way, the next CO payment is happening via the 2022 tax return instead of the 2021 method via a check in the mail. I don't want to think about if we'll have to divide the next refund into income tax refund vs CO Cashback on their 2023 federal tax returns, etc.!

• Like 1

This first CO client claims she got no 1099 for the $750. She didn't itemize, so a response will be simple of she gets an IRS letter. By the way, the CO check with stub had a cover letter that sends you to a web page that states, "No. The Colorado Cash Back refund is not taxable." As it's a Colorado.gov web site, they certainly should be qualified to answer for taxability on the CO return. I'm surprised they didn't give the standard, "Ask your tax preparer" answer for federal taxability.

I do NOT believe the IRS's right hand knows what it's left hand is doing.

• Like 2