ATX Community

Giving ATX Credit Where It Is Due

JohnH

In spite of my disappointment with what I see as repeated stumbles by ATX in their marketing & customer relations, I have to compliment them on the technical aspects of the software. I had a positive experience with ATX this week that I'd like to share. I experienced a problem about a week ago during a power failure which caused my main operating computer to fail. Even after having a technician to work some magic to enable me to restart it, the system remained unstable, which forced me to replace it (with a really nice system, BTW).

Today I started up the new computer and the first thing I did was to install the 2007 ATX1040 program. Next I ran the program updates, shut down & restarted, then ran the forms updates for Fed and all states. The entire updating process took less than 30 minutes. Following that, I popped my backup flash disk in and ran into a slight problem. I called ATX tech service and within 10 minutes the tech had identified my error (my mistake, not the program), and all my 2007 client data was installed on the new system within another 20 minutes or so. I especially liked this since about 30 of the clients are on extension - sure would have hated to have to re-enter all that info.

There's nothing like a total system failure to focus your attention on your software, your backup process, and your overall procedures. Thanks to many of the excellent suggestions on this forum regarding how to maintain multiple backups, I was reasonably certain I was prepared for a situation like this. It was nice to see things work pretty much as planned. It was also nice to see the ATX program perform flawlessly during this tense period.

So thanks to ATX for a technically sound program and thanks to everyone on this forum who has so generously offered their expertise on how to maintain an effective & reliable backup process.

Good for you John. You didn't HAVE to tell that story, since you are not a huge fan of ATX. But, good news for the rest of us who back up in a variety of ways but never know for sure if the backups are going to work. Without that, the ending to your story could have been totally different; and your candor is admirable.

My complaints have never been with the program, or the designers of the program. The program is very powerfull and complete. No program can supply 100% of everyones needs. It loses some speed and agility when you get over 500 clients, but the other benefits outweigh that issue.

My complaints have been with the new parent company and their attitudes and actions. Throwing out all the technical help staff that had years of intimate experience with the program was as big a blunder as it gets. Dumping a new program on the TaxWise support staff without proper training and information was simply cruel.

The support staff for the 2007 did as good a job as they could being blindsided as they were.

CCH needs to bring their upper management decision makers back out of some alternate dimension and get a grip on the real business world they are operating in.

ATX program is an awesome and wonderful! CCH management and decision makers get a -1 rating on a scale of 1 to 10.

• 4 weeks later...

We just went through a similar process, migrating all the ATX data and application to an actual file server. A young man in Georgia by the name of Herrick assisted us through the process. He was awesome, knew exactly what he was doing and on what application, spoke with a Southern accent, and walked with us throughout the entire process. I miss the people in Maine but it appears that the people in Georgia are getting up to speed.

Maribeth