ATX Community

Earned Income Credit questions

Tax Prep by Deb

I have a question that hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a client who for 2006 I filed as Head of Household. He got married to the mother of his children in 2007 and they have been in the process of getting her a social security number (she does have an ITIN). We filed an extension on his return and now just this week they recieved her social security number.

Which number do I use on the return? The social security # or the ITIN#? Abviously it will make a difference because of the earned income credit as well as stimulas ect.....

I would be very appreciative if any replies could direct me to some source documentation. This couple could diffently use the credit, however I do not want to do anything that might disqualify them for future years.

Your thoughts are always appreciated!

Deb!

Thanks KC.

I was actually able to find the answer to my question right after posting. I was cautious because of the EIC, but found a publication on IRS' web site that addressed our exact situation. I will be using the social security number and my clients seem to qualify for all the credits because of the social security number.

Thanks again for responding.

For those who would like to see the info I will try and link it for you!

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p596.pdf

I was specifically referring to rule 2. It states that if you do not have a social security number, but now qualify for one, you have two options, file and extension, file and then ammend when number arrives. We extended the return. So it seems like all is a go!

Deb.