ATX Community

QCD

Christian

On preparing a client's return who used a QCD through his IRA account I find ATX populates the Form 1040 correctly only to refuse to prepare an efile because the taxable amount is not placed in box 2a of the input form. If you place the taxable amount in the box or zero it throws the calculation off on the Form 1040 or will not show QCD on the 1040 at all. I contacted ATX tech support who acknowledged a problem with this. You can mail the return in but the software will not prepare the efile. There is the checkbox indicating a QCD was taken and the amount given which I filled out but all to no avail. 

• Angry 1

Okay ... I'm paranoid now.  I use ATX, and it's working correctly.  I put the taxable amount in box 2a, check the box at the bottom of the entry screen and enter the QCD amount, and when I go to the 1040, it's handling it correctly.  What am I missing?  The efile prepares and files, and I haven't had any problems.  At this late date, I'm worrying that I've filed zillions of returns incorrectly, and I'm not even smart enough to recognize it.

Well it is not beyond the realm of possible that I placed the wrong entry in box 2a. I put the adjusted taxable amount in box 2a that is the IRA full distribution which was fully taxable minus the QCD amount. Perhaps I should have entered instead the full amount as reported on line 2 and then the QCD as reported in the line reported on the bottom of the input screen will do the rest ? I will go back and try this and see.

11 hours ago, jasdlm said:

Okay ... I'm paranoid now.  I use ATX, and it's working correctly.  I put the taxable amount in box 2a, check the box at the bottom of the entry screen and enter the QCD amount, and when I go to the 1040, it's handling it correctly.  What am I missing?  The efile prepares and files, and I haven't had any problems.  At this late date, I'm worrying that I've filed zillions of returns incorrectly, and I'm not even smart enough to recognize it.

I've not had any problems with this either.