ATX Community

Online Navigation Problems

JohnH

For the past 4-5 days, I've been experiencing lots of problems navigating online. Sometimes I'll need to click on a link 2 or 3 times to get it to connect - other times it just won't connect at all. I get errror messages saying IE can't find the site, although I know it's a valid site. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this. I'm using Internet Explorer for browsing and AT&T for my email. This is happening on two different computers - one running XP and the other running Vista.

I did a power reset on my modem and my router (all hard-wired, no wireless). Still have the same problem. I'm beginning to suspect my DSL service provider.

If you have the same problems across all computers, wired and wireless alike, your suspicions may be correct. It might also be a failing DSL modem, failing router, or a damaged/noisy phone line.

Thanks Eric. Simple enough to check, but I had missed the obvious. I plugged the modem output directly into the computer (bypassing the router) and still have the same problem. I have a call in to my service provider now to get a new modem installed, then it's on to the incoming lines.

Eric:

I think you're ahead on troubleshooting points.

The rep for my local DSL provider snickered when I suggested line noise, but I think he's going to have to eat his words.

1) We replaced their old 4-year-old modem with a new one which has the router built in. Problem still exists.

2) Then I replaced the cable from the modem/router to the computer. Problem still exists.

3) Then I replaced the cable from the modem/router to the wall. Problem still exists.

Looks like we are down to the incoming line as the source of the problem - there isn't much left to check.

(Don't know if this will help, but I'm going to get some lipstick to put on the modem. I'm ready to try anything)

The rep for my local DSL provider snickered when I suggested line noise, but I think he's going to have to eat his words.

The rep you spoke to is totally igorant of the technical aspects of DSL. I have had 3 of my computer customers with exactly the same problem. If you contact an upper level technician, he can test the line for noise that will interfere with DSL, but is out of the human hearing range.

I have made 3 different technicians apologize when my diagnosis of line noise was fixed by a technician cleaning a connection between my customer's home and the node.

They will always try to blame the router, because it is an easy out. The router will NOT cause the modem to lock up. The technicians that recommend that usually are out of their league in the diagnosis and give scripted answers.

Call the DSL division of your phone company, demand to talk to a level 4 technican, and don't let him go till you convince him to have the service techs, check your line thoroughly.