ATX Community

Form 8888 Multiple Accts for Refunds

joelgilb

I have a client that is going bankrupt and needs me to prepare their 2007 tax returns (corp and indiv). In order to get paid, therefore (under the BK rules my fee is discharged also, even if I am not listed - Please no comments on this issue as I am a former BK attorney and am sure of this) I need to collect my fees either with for the 2007 tax returns or up front. Obviously if they are going bankrupt they can not pay up front.

I have not setup RAL or Fee collect and ATX and the Santa Barbra bank will not set me up for 2007. I was wondering if I could use form 8888 to have a portion of the fee deposited to my bank to cover my fees. I can also have them sign an agreement direct with me allowing the transfer to my account to pay my fees. My only concern is if there is some law or breach that would cause me concern down the road.

thx

Joel

Just a shot in the dark - I am not sure this will work. Couldn't you contact the BK attorney and work for him? He could pay you, as he needs this done for his client to complete the BK, and I think the BK attorney bill will not get discharged. If the BK attorney adds your fee to his and he pays you, wouldn't that work out for everyone?

Again, I have not run into this, so I am just throwing this out for discussion.

And depositing your fee into your account is prohibited by Cir. 230 as mentioned above.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I'd just suggest that the up-front payment may not be impossible, if they really want the protection of the BK court. Because under current rules, they can NOT file without the tax returns, if you insist on payment up front, they will either pay you or go elsewhere. If you don't wish to do this pro bono, either way is in your favor, either you get paid or you save your time for something more enjoyable than doing a free tax return. Especially since those sort of returns are often messy.

Thx All.

I was pretty sure that this was prohibited, but couldn't find any source that indicated that.

As for the BK attorney, he is less than cooperative on my behalf. I did however find out that ATX was incorrect on me being setup for fee collect. Contacted the Santa Barbara Bank and they had an account already setup for me. Since I never used it I didn't remember setting it up. Would have thought when I called ATX they would have had it on file to tell me the correct answer. So problem solved

Thx

again