ATX Community

IRS to eliminate ‘oceans’ of paper by digitizing all new tax returns by 2025

Abby Normal

Sounds good to me, if they can successfully implement this.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that by the 2025 filing season, the IRS will digitally process all the tax returns it receives, as well as half of all paper-based correspondence, non-tax forms and notice responses.

The IRS will also start to digitize more than a billion historical documents, which will give taxpayers greater access to their records, and will save the agency about $40 million in annual storage costs.

More immediately, taxpayers will have the option to go paperless with their IRS correspondence by next year’s filing season.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/it-modernization/2023/08/irs-to-eliminate-oceans-of-paper-by-digitizing-all-new-tax-returns-by-2025/

I listened to Commissioner Werfel last week at the Atlanta forum and was impressed with the direction he wants to take the IRS.  Some preparers might be leery of IRS free-filing, but if all you are preparing are simple returns...you didn't have job security anyway.

The new hires should at least be able to figure out how to feed a scanner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cbslee said:

As far as I know, all of their programming and most of their data management functions are outsourced.

For example, the consulting firm of Booz Allen Hamilton just received a modernization contract of $2.6 Billion.

Last month the consulting firm of Accenture also received a modernization contract of $2.6 Billion.

• Like 2