ATX Community

Rental 1250 Gain

Christian

I am doing my annual client review and need to revisit a sale one of them made. He set up a former residence as a rental in 2011 using SL/GDS. After rereading any tax due on his gain I added back his prior depreciation to calculate it only to discover now this was likely a mistake and I need to provide him an amended return. After reviewing recapture rules I am reading that 1250 property set up after 1986 under SL is not subject to recapture so his tax was due on the difference between the depreciated value of the house and what he got for it. This being so I have some work to do to get this addressed.

He came to me some years back from an H&R Block office. The associate there  had set the rental up in 2011 using SL/GDS with a 27.5 year schedule. I will need to take some time to review the form I used and get back to you pointing out everything done. Well no I did not add the depreciation back. I used the second page of the Form 4797 lines 20 through 24. This took the original costs of his property and deducted his total depreciation which produced his adjusted basis which was then subtracted from what he got from the sale. Looking at this retrospectively it now looks to be correct after all. In a word he subtracted the depreciated basis of the house from what he got for it. I did not in fact recapture any of the depreciation which comports perfectly with my review I just finished. 

• Like 3